Monday, February 21, 2011

BS

We are getting our taxes back soon and with Shawn's deployment, I want to get us on a budget and pay off our debt. So I goggled Dave Ramsey.

I signed up for the 7 day trial period and got started. The website is pretty user friendly, but after I entered my debts, there was no tutorial to tell me HOW to get out of debt. Such as, with what extra money do I use to pay extra on the credit card bill? Actually, I take that back. There were many stories of people never eating out and people getting second jobs. Um....no?

Am I seriously SUPPOSED TO ASK MY DEPLOYING HUSBAND TO GET A SECOND JOB?! Or, am I, with children in school, supposed to get a job? How is paying for daycare going to get me out of debt? Basically, I thought the whole thing was a crock.

There was one story of a man who got a second job AND miraculously "found" $500 extra in his account to send toward his debt, and he was debt free in 27 months. WTF?! His credit cards, his car, his student loan. Nope, not kidding. Also, he gave up everything and stopped eating out.

We do eat out many times, at about $25 a pop, since I refuse to pay expensive prices for my picky kids who won't even eat at McDonald's. Let me rephrase: they WANT to go there, but just for the toy. Furthermore, with my husband GONE FOR A YEAR, I know I will not cook 21 times a week. I'm sure good ole Dave would tell me to give up the gym and take my kids out of gymnastics, too, so we can all not exercise and eat cheap processed food and be more like what many Americans look like. But, hey, maybe I'd be debt free and fat by 2015.

2 comments:

  1. I always tell my huaband that we can sell the house and move into a trailer park and be TOTALLY DEBT FREE!! :) Sometimes we just gotta take things as they come...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do the Dave plan by the book, but I do a few of his things and they seem work. Reading the books was by far the best thing for me. We still eat out and spend thousands of dollars on clothes we don't need but overall we are debt except for our house.

    ReplyDelete